Fencing is an amazing sport. With a number of benefits that will help you in all aspects of your life!
Physically, fencing will help your
- Anaerobic and Aerobic Fitness - Fencers don't just stand still waving sticks around at each other. There's a great deal of movement. Your legs will be sore the next day after your first day of serious footwork.
- Speed and Explosive Power - You don't get to take all day to hit your opponent. After you learn your basic form, you'll learn how to deliver your attacks with great quickness
- Flexibility - Fencers develop dynamic flexibility. Flexibility that will help you avoid several day to day injuries.
- Balance - You'll learn very early and often that balance is extremely key in your fencing.
- Coordination - In fencing, one must make very small controlled movements with their blade correctly and at the right time.
- Weight Loss - Many of our adult fencers have reported incredible stories of weight loss. Fencing for hours definitely burns the calories!
In addition to the gains your body will feel, fencing has been described as physical chess. It requires a keen mind as well as coordinated movement to succeed in fencing. You'll learn a lot of lessons that will follow you for the rest of your life. You'll gain:
- Focus - You must play close attention to what's going on. One second of lost focus can mean disaster. (Or extra pushups during practice ;-) )
- Complex Hand-eye Coordination - Manipulating a fencing sword isn't as easy as it may appear.
- Problem Solving - Every opponent is a new challenge! Learning how to use your advantages versus theirs presents an amazingly dynamic game
- Self Discipline - One quickly learns that in fencing, there are no other teammates to blame. You and you alone are responsible for your actions on the fencing strip.
- Self Confidence - You're not playing against a computer! Your opponent doesn't want to lose any more than you do. You must gain the confidence to play your best at all times!
You may be wondering, "But why choose fencing over other sports that are more popular in America?"
- Social Activity that can last your entire life - There's always competitive opportunities. Unless you are at the top of the sport, football and baseball severely limit the number of opportunities you will have after the high school and collegiate levels.
- No requisite body type - You can be small, you can be big. There's always a way to use your advantages to your favor in fencing!
- Extremely safe - Surprisingly to some, fencing is one of the safest sports in the world. Some say the risk of injury in fencing is similar to that of golf.
So why fence at Charlotte Fencing Academy?
- Goal Oriented - We want you to achieve whatever your goals are in fencing. Whether that goal is to be a national champion, or just to play around and get in shape. Our coaches will work with you to get the most out of every class!
- Team Mentality - We believe every member of Charlotte Fencing Academy is a member of our team. We don't believe in excluding anyone based on their goals, size, age, gender, or anything! Sometime the lessons will be tough, but the end focus is for everyone to achieve their end goals by working together.
- Positive Environment - We believe in creating an environment that everyone can enjoy. We're not here to belittle our students.
- Experienced Coaching Staff - Our staff has been coaching for over 15 years now. We've been successful from the local to national levels. We're USFA and USFCA certified. Your safety and enjoyment is our #1 concern!
Want some more knowledge about fencing? Check out Olympic Silver Medalist Jason Roger's site BetterFencer.com. On it he gives some great tips about preparing for your first national tournament and dealing with distractions!